They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. But this here, is worth a bajillion words. Fond memories. Happy memories.
This was taken in 2011, if I remember well. We were at a party, 11 d’or party. I guess it was a birthday party. I don’t remember, I was there just for the food (read meat) and drinks. There were lots of drinks and brochettes.
Later in the night, while the others were jammed in the living room, dancing; I and Jaz sat there, watching some pull out wild moves and boogieing like nobody’s watching. It’s always entertaining to watch others dance. But my legs never itch to hit the dancefloor. I can tell you why I hate dancing. One, I’m an introvert and I avoid (and hate) socializing with strangers. And dancing involves socializing to some extent. Second, people who like dancing can be aggressive about it, and think that I need to be dragged onto the dance floor. They feel like they’ve won points if they bully me into dancing. Or they think I secretly want to dance but I’m too shy to start…so they feel the need to pressure me into it. The idea of a big party with dancing is horrible to me.
Back to the photo…
People wanted to drag us onto the dancefloor, and no matter how many times we said no, they kept insisting. What’s wrong with people anyway? So, we needed a spot, maybe in the corner of the room, where we could sit and watch in peace, without being disturbed. As we were trying to find a spot, the guy (in the picture) stopped us and asked where we were going. As Jaz was busy explaining, I couldn’t help it but laugh, and baam…the photo was taken!
The year was 2006, when I first saw Jaz. I never knew that that day in Senior 4 when I heard her argue about The Matrix (the movie) and I said to myself “she must be a really interesting girl!” would be the beginning of our journey. And indeed she is an amazing girl. After completing highschool we met again in 2010, sharing the same room on campus hostels. 7 years later, we are best friends. I am so lucky that this crazy world brought us together.
So, today is Jaz’ birthday and I am dedicating this post to her…I’m writing things that I love about her.
- Her weird vocabulary. Ni akasamutwe! Haha
- Her integrity.
- Her determination. She sets a goal and works hard to achieve it.
- Her funny stories.
- Her love.
- To others she might seem as a sober lady (yes, she is) but underneath is one of the most loving and caring person I have ever met.
- I can speak my heart out to her.
- Even if we’re not in touch for ages, I know that she’s there for me.
- She brings sunshine into my life.
- She knows how to pamper me.
- She understands me.
- I can count on her. Always.
- Each time I think of her, I smile.
- I can trust on her advice.
- She’s a reflection of me. Truly.
- She’s seen me at my worst and still stood by me.
- She has more faith in me than I do in myself (thank you for believing in me, always).
- She works hard for what she wants.
- Her love for movies.
- She is very very smart.
- We can make fun of each other and never take offense. She laughs at me when I fall but it’s cool, because I always laugh at her when she falls too.
- Even when she laughs at me, I still feel loved.
- She talks me through hard situations without fail. What would I do without her?
- She is an inspiration to me…she’s one of the strong women whom I look up to.
- She loves meat.
- She’s the sister I never had.
Thank you for being such an amazing friend to me for the past 7 years. I’m so grateful and blessed to have you in my life.
A very very happy birthday to you.
I love you, to the moon and further. And I terribly miss you.